Seven Oaks & Ross House Museum
  • Seven Oaks House Museum
    • Visiting Information
    • Events
    • School Programs
    • Rentals
    • History >
      • The Inkster Family >
        • John & Mary Inkster
        • Inkster Children
        • Nahovway & Colin
        • Harriet Inkster & McGowan Park
        • George Thomas Inkster
      • Seven Oaks House >
        • Changing Times (1890s-1940s)
        • New Beginnings (1940s-1960s)
      • Research >
        • Material Culture of the Inkster-Sinclair Women
        • The Architecture of Seven Oaks House
    • Archives >
      • Seven Oaks Album
      • Redwood Album
      • George Thomas Inkster Album
      • Wright Album
      • Miscellaneous Photos
    • Volunteer
    • Donate
    • About us
  • Ross House Museum
    • Visiting Information
    • Events
    • History >
      • The Ross Family >
        • Alexander Ross
        • Salis Timentwa (Sarah Ross)
        • William Ross
        • Jemima McKenzie Ross
        • James Ross
        • William Coldwell
        • Henrietta Ross
      • History of Ross House Museum
      • Research >
        • The Boiling Point of North Point Douglas
        • Winnipeg 1884: Finding the Past in Our Present
      • Artifact Gallery
    • Volunteer
    • About us
  • Learning
    • Self-Guided Tours
    • Video Tours
  • Gathering
    • Heritage Database
    • Contemporary Artists

St. Mary's Academy

St. Mary's Academy


In 1869, at the request of the Archbishop Taché, St. Mary's Academy was established by two Grey Nuns to provide Catholic education to the English-speakers of the Red River Settlement. The school was run out of a rented house on Victoria Street, a short distance from the intersection of Portage Avenue and Main Street. Here, a small convent was established, and was the home to St. Mary's Catholic Church until 1874, when a formal church was built at the intersection of Hargrave Street and St. Mary Avenue. 

The arrangement with the Grey Nuns was meant to be temporary, but in 1874, the Archbishop recruited Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) to take over the education of the pupils. After the attendance grew to 126 students in the Fall of 1874, three Christian Brothers came to the settlement to set up a separate school for boys, located on Hargrave Street. 

After a succession of renovations, additions, and the construction of a new building on the original site, the Academy grew too large, and in the September of 1903, their new campus was completed. Residing upon 15-acres on the South side of the Assiniboine River in the Cresentwood neighbourhood, St. Mary's Academy still exists at this site, providing private schooling to hundreds of female pupils. 

The original building, including all additions, was demolished at some point after the school's move. If it was still standing, it would be located around 120 Lombard Avenue. 

Information courtesy of St. Mary's Academy. 
Seven Oaks House Museum & Ross House Museum sit on Treaty One land: The traditional territory of the Anishinaabeg and Ininíwak, the land of the Dakota and the homeland of the Red River Métis.

Contact us:

Tracey Turner - Curator / Manager
[email protected]

Seven Oaks House Museum

204-339-7429
[email protected]
50 Mac Street, Winnipeg, MB

​Ross House Museum

204-942-5396
[email protected]
140 Meade Street North, Winnipeg, MB

Operated with support from

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
  • Seven Oaks House Museum
    • Visiting Information
    • Events
    • School Programs
    • Rentals
    • History >
      • The Inkster Family >
        • John & Mary Inkster
        • Inkster Children
        • Nahovway & Colin
        • Harriet Inkster & McGowan Park
        • George Thomas Inkster
      • Seven Oaks House >
        • Changing Times (1890s-1940s)
        • New Beginnings (1940s-1960s)
      • Research >
        • Material Culture of the Inkster-Sinclair Women
        • The Architecture of Seven Oaks House
    • Archives >
      • Seven Oaks Album
      • Redwood Album
      • George Thomas Inkster Album
      • Wright Album
      • Miscellaneous Photos
    • Volunteer
    • Donate
    • About us
  • Ross House Museum
    • Visiting Information
    • Events
    • History >
      • The Ross Family >
        • Alexander Ross
        • Salis Timentwa (Sarah Ross)
        • William Ross
        • Jemima McKenzie Ross
        • James Ross
        • William Coldwell
        • Henrietta Ross
      • History of Ross House Museum
      • Research >
        • The Boiling Point of North Point Douglas
        • Winnipeg 1884: Finding the Past in Our Present
      • Artifact Gallery
    • Volunteer
    • About us
  • Learning
    • Self-Guided Tours
    • Video Tours
  • Gathering
    • Heritage Database
    • Contemporary Artists